[udig-devel] RFC adding an extension point
Moser-Spitzenstaetter Ludwig
2013-04-24 10:44:43 UTC
Motivation

Using the current code ApplicationGIS.openMap allows yout to open a map, but pops up the MapEditor in the Perspective you are in. It is not possible now to tell where to open the View (actually ist an Editor). Though a Custom Perspective is available using the Editor (which is fine and uses the Editor when the ApplicationGIS.openMap was already called, with the loaded Project).

I took some screenshots to show what i tried to explain.

1) The uDig Perspective

2) Another perspective with a button to load a uDig Project (GIS test button, middle left)

3) After clicking the button, the map opens

4) Switching now tot he uDig Perspective:

So opening the map works fine, but it would be helpful to define where the view for the map is displayed (and it can be added to other perspectives too, when if it is accessable as a view)

Inspiration

My inspiration came from an existing plugin i wrote (using google maps - but this is not comparable to a real GIS application like uDig. But here is a screenshot how it could look like:

Proposal

? I had contact with Jody about this and he wrote

"Adding an extension point for ApplicationGIS.openMap would give you code to open a view or editor and add it to an custom Perspective"

?

Status

Project Steering committee support:

Committer Support:

Requested by: Ludwig Spitzenst?tter - Tiroler Landesmuseen - Europe/Austria

PS: this is my first RFC ever - please be lenient towards me. Thanks!

Ludwig,

I'm not sure whether I got you intention and what goal you like to achieve.
In general the configuration of a Perspective is independent of uDig.
Because of the fact uDig Map is an Editor you only have to define an
Editor-Area for your perspective with a layout you like (width, height,
position, etc). Whenever the user has opened this perspective the editor
will open in that editor area. If the user clicked on your action that
executes ApplicationGIS.openMap() the editor will open up in the editor
area as well defined by the perspective.

http://www.vogella.com/articles/EclipseRCP/article.html#editor_perspective

If the user decides to show map editors side by side the user can easily
drag and drop the editor tab to the place relative to the editor space.

So, is your RFC still required or can you solve your requirements by
defining a perspective in a way like mentioned above?
HTH,
Frank

2013/4/24 Moser-Spitzenstaetter Ludwig <
L.Spitzenstaetter at tiroler-landesmuseen.at>
*Motivation*
Using the current code ApplicationGIS.openMap allows yout to open a map,
but pops up the MapEditor in the Perspective you are in. It is not possible
now to tell where to open the View (actually ist an Editor). Though a
Custom Perspective is available using the Editor (which is fine and uses
the Editor when the ApplicationGIS.openMap was already called, with the
loaded Project).****
** **
****
**? **** **
*Status*****
Project Steering committee support:****
Committer Support:****
** **
Requested by: Ludwig Spitzenst?tter ? Tiroler Landesmuseen ? Europe/Austria
****
PS: this is my first RFC ever ? please be lenient towards me. Thanks!****
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
It would be a fun idea and allow us to open either the old editor / toolbar or the new editor/palette.

Suppose we would need an extension point, and a preference page.

--
Jody Garnett
Post by Moser-Spitzenstaetter Ludwig
Motivation
Using the current code ApplicationGIS.openMap allows yout to open a map, but pops up the MapEditor in the Perspective you are in. It is not possible now to tell where to open the View (actually ist an Editor). Though a Custom Perspective is available using the Editor (which is fine and uses the Editor when the ApplicationGIS.openMap was already called, with the loaded Project).
I took some screenshots to show what i tried to explain.
1) The uDig Perspective
<image001.png>
2) Another perspective with a button to load a uDig Project (GIS test button, middle left)
<image002.png>
3) After clicking the button, the map opens
<image003.png>
<image004.png>
So opening the map works fine, but it would be helpful to define where the view for the map is displayed (and it can be added to other perspectives too, when if it is accessable as a view)
Inspiration
<image005.png>
Proposal
?Adding an extension point for ApplicationGIS.openMap would give you code to open a view or editor and add it to an custom Perspective?
?
Status
Requested by: Ludwig Spitzenst?tter ? Tiroler Landesmuseen ? Europe/Austria
PS: this is my first RFC ever ? please be lenient towards me. Thanks!
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Any updates on the decision of adding this feature or not? (or where can i get the information about the request?)

Thanks in advance!

Ludwig

Achtung! Neue Email Adresse!
P Bitte denken Sie an die Umwelt, bevor Sie dieses Mail drucken. Avon da stampar questa communicaziun patertgei vid igl ambient. Prima di stampare questo messaggio pensate all' ambiente

I think we are still discussing on email here to make sure we know what we are about.

Actually I may have a good idea:

I was thinking if we could handle this like cut/copy/paste - ie register an OpenMapHandler using the eclipse facilities for actions / commands / handlers.

--
Jody Garnett
Post by Moser-Spitzenstaetter Ludwig
Any updates on the decision of adding this feature or not? (or where can i get the information about the request?)
Thanks in advance!
Ludwig
<image001.jpg>
Achtung! Neue Email Adresse!
P Bitte denken Sie an die Umwelt, bevor Sie dieses Mail drucken. Avon da stampar questa communicaziun patertgei vid igl ambient. Prima di stampare questo messaggio pensate all' ambiente

No news, or interest, from the developer list. Are you in position to create the change request and start working on a patch?
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Hello,

I?m waiting for any updates on this topic for about two weeks,

any chance to get this rfc done?

Afaik its all about defining an extension point and/or enabling something/code that was already possible/available some time back.

Am i wrong?

If i had only a little idea how to do it, i?d do it, but as i have no idea, i cant do it? ;-)

Thanks in Advance

Ludwig

Hi, I don't think any extension point is really required as the Eclipse UI
framework can be used to accomplish what you need.

As the map editor is a standard Eclipse editor part, it will be placed
wherever the "Editor area" is defined in the perspective.
And ANY perspective which has the "Editor area" visible, it will display
the map (and any other editor).
You can use the IPageLayout.setEditorAreaVisible method to hide the editor
area in some perspective if you wish.
If you use the map in a view, the view can be defined to be in a certain
area of the perspective.

So, in your custom perspective class, override "createInitialLayout"
method, to define placement or placeholders for your views relative to the
editor area.
Use the createFolder, addView and addPlaceholder methods of the IPageLayout
interface.

In that way you can customize any perspective to have the desired layout.
Nothing else is required from uDig side I think.

-Pana

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 9:36 AM, Moser-Spitzenstaetter Ludwig <
Hello,****
** **
udig-devel-bounces at lists.refractions.net] *Im Auftrag von *Jody Garnett
*Gesendet:* Mittwoch, 05. Juni 2013 05:52
*An:* User-friendly Desktop Internet GIS
** **
[image: cid:image006.jpg at 01CE5C40.B517C7E0]****
*Achtung! Neue Email Adresse!
*P *Bitte denken Sie an die Umwelt, bevor Sie dieses Mail drucken. **Avon
da stampar questa communicaziun patertgei vid igl ambient. Prima di
stampare questo messaggio pensate all' ambiente*****
** **
*Im Auftrag von *Moser-Spitzenstaetter Ludwig
*Gesendet:* Mittwoch, 24. April 2013 12:45
*An:* udig-devel at lists.refractions.net
** **
[image: cid:image007.png at 01CE5C40.B517C7E0]****
**2) **Another perspective with a button to load a uDig Project (GIS
test button, middle left)
[image: cid:image008.png at 01CE5C40.B517C7E0]****
**3) **After clicking the button, the map opens
[image: cid:image009.png at 01CE5C40.B517C7E0]****
[image: cid:image010.png at 01CE5C40.B517C7E0]****
So opening the map works fine, but it would be helpful to define where the
view for the map is displayed (and it can be added to other perspectives
too, when if it is accessable as a view)****
*Inspiration*****
My inspiration came from an existing plugin i wrote (using google maps ?
but this is not comparable to a real GIS application like uDig. But here is
a screenshot how it could look like:****
[image: cid:image011.png at 01CE5C40.B517C7E0]****
** **
*Proposal*****
**? **I had contact with Jody about this and he wrote****
?Adding an extension point for ApplicationGIS.openMap would give you code
to open a view or editor and add it to an custom Perspective?****
**? **** **
*Status*****
Project Steering committee support:****
Committer Support:****
** **
Requested by: Ludwig Spitzenst?tter ? Tiroler Landesmuseen ? Europe/Austria
****
PS: this is my first RFC ever ? please be lenient towards me. Thanks!****
** **
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Well what you describe is what i tried.

Fact is, when i load a project, it switches the map to my udig perspective, where it is used as editor.

In ALL my other views there is no editor, only views -> therefore the map shall be displayed in this view, not in my other perspective as editor.

This is tested and i already had a talk with jody, who told me it is needed to define such an extension point.

To create short summary of my application:

a perspective where users can edit a map.

Lots of other perspectives

And ONE perspective where the map is shown (points, lines etc are added to this map by code)

Adding stuff to the map works fine, but, as mentioned above, the map pops up at the wrong position (though it is clearly defined in my perspectives).

Ludwig

PS: as you note: "As the map editor is a standard Eclipse editor part" - sorry to say so, but udig is going to be part of my application, not vice versa.

Achtung! Neue Email Adresse!
P Bitte denken Sie an die Umwelt, bevor Sie dieses Mail drucken. Avon da stampar questa communicaziun patertgei vid igl ambient. Prima di stampare questo messaggio pensate all' ambiente

Ok, still it's a bit confusing.
PS: as you note: ?As the map editor is a standard *Eclipse editor part*?
? sorry to say so, but udig is going to be part of my application, not vice
versa.
By "Eclipse editor part" I mean the Eclipse EditorPart UI elements, as
opposed to ViewPart elements
http://www.vogella.com/articles/EclipseEditors/article.html

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 8:41 AM, Moser-Spitzenstaetter Ludwig <
Well what you describe is what i tried.****
Fact is, when i load a project, it switches the map to my udig
perspective, where it is used as editor.****
In ALL my other views there is no editor, only views -> therefore the map
shall be displayed in this view, not in my other perspective as editor.
I believe you mean all other perspectives, right?
****
This is tested and i already had a talk with jody, who told me it is
needed to define such an extension point.****
** **
To create short summary of my application:****
a perspective where users can edit a map.****
Lots of other perspectives****
And ONE perspective where the map is shown (points, lines etc are added to
this map by code)****
Adding stuff to the map works fine, but, as mentioned above, the map pops
up at the wrong position (though it is clearly defined in my perspectives).
Ok two perspectives with a map. Is it the same map object or two different
map objects? If different, do they belong to same project object?
Is it so that the first perspective should contain a map inside an editor
part, and the second should contain a map in a view part?
Or both should be in an editor part?

What is the correct position?

-Pana
[...]

<image006.png>
Proposal
?Adding an extension point for ApplicationGIS.openMap would give you code to open a view or editor and add it to an custom Perspective?
?
Status
Requested by: Ludwig Spitzenst?tter ? Tiroler Landesmuseen ? Europe/Austria
PS: this is my first RFC ever ? please be lenient towards me. Thanks!
<Ludwig M Spitzenst?tter.vcf>